Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Felony Charges for Animal Abuse

I'm an avid animal lover. I was watching the news this evening and they touched on the story of Buddy the German Shepherd dog that was dragged outside of the vehicle of his owner or individual that stole him from the back of another vehicle. Buddy's story is FAR TOO SAD for me to read. It infuriates and saddens me to NO END that people are truly that careless, wreck-less, and fucking ignorant. The story from tonight just discussed how people on Facebook (people around the world) are working to bring animal abuse to the attention of lawmakers and increase the misdemeanor charges that people face now up to felony charges, even on the first one. I'm not sure if this law is nation wide or only state wide but it also discussed Westey's Law. This law states that a second charge of animal abuse can be pumped up to a felony offense, however individuals who are abusing animals for the first time skate by with really only a slap on the wrist and a simple fine. I definitely feel this is something that is extremely important for our lawmakers to take into consideration. I definitely believe that those who get by with only misdemeanor charges have it easy and they definitely aren't going to learn. There are some individuals who might make the change however, I don't think the misdemeanor offense is quite enough for the majority of these people. I see far too many cases, I mean shit, they have SEVERAL DIFFERENT SHOWS on the Animal Channel about these incidences alone and honestly I watch them but if they weren't on I'd be so much happier.

I also believe the law for felony charges and misdemeanor charges should include other requirements for animal ownership. I think that individuals who are trying to get an animal, no matter if it's a cat, a dog, or even a fish, the individual should have to take a class on how to take care of the animal. I think people need to learn what it actually takes to raise an animal. It's not a simple as just bringing it home and letting it roam around the house and giving it food when convenient. People have to demonstrate knowledge the types of food the animal should be eating, the types of toys, how the animal interacts with new people, children, and other animals. What it takes cost wise to own the animal is important as well. It's not fair to make an animal suffer in pain or whatever just because they can't afford to take it the doctor. People also need to be taught that there are resources available to them if they can no longer afford the animal or take care of it. I'm sure there are plenty of individuals who would be willing to teach this class (me for one) and it's something that can be paid for by the future owner of the animal. They have to pay to get their new animal so in order to receive him they have to complete the class and have a full understanding of what it is going to take to keep this animal and what happens if they fail to do it. I think this class idea and new law is fully capable of working out and I definitely think it would make a difference in our society.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment