- 1 1/2 pounds small baking potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes and water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are just softened.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until heated through. Spread the bean mixture in an 11" x 7" baking dish and set aside.
When the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and return them to the saucepan. Add the milk, butter, cilantro, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
Spread the corn over the bean mixture, then spread (or pipe) the mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle with the Cheddar.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden. Increase the oven temperature to broil and place under the broiler for about 1 minute, or until the top is browned slightly.