- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 container (15 ounces) nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (25 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium marinara sauce
Preheat the oven to 350ï¿½F.
Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions. Drain. Lay the noodles flat on a work surface to prevent them from sticking together.
Warm the oil in a medium no-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to a medium bowl.
To the bowl, add the ricotta, spinach, egg whites, basil, Parmesan, pepper, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella. Mix well.
Spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta filling over the length of each noodle and roll up from one end.
Spread one-half of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 13" x 9" baking dish. Add the rolls, seam side down. Top with the remaining sauce and the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes.